img

Building of the Fire Guard Institute

Images

ID:
351
Place
Lviv
Date:
1860-1870
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
10х14 cm
Creator
Josef Eder
Collection
Lviv Historical Museum
Copyright
Lviv Historical Museum
Publisher
Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Description

The Military Invalids House (now at 35 Kleparivska St.) was built in the Pilichowska Valley of Lviv’s Klepariv district in 1855-1863 following a project by famous Danish architect T. Hansen. The house was meant to provide living quarters and care for officers and soldiers incapable of military service. The house comprised 50 rooms with 328 beds, as well as separate apartments for officers. The building was decorated by sculptures and reliefs by famous Polish sculptors Cyprian Godеbski and Abel Maria Perrier. Since 1877, the Invalids House also held a department of the Garrison Hospital and a factory making artificial limbs. Today the building houses the Fire Guard Institute of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine.

Tags:
House of War invalids, buildings
Category:
Hospitals & Sanatoria