The Bernardine Monastery building complex (now St. Andrew Church with monastery buildings and a belfry), encircled by a strong defensive wall, was a key element of the city's fortification system. In the late nineteenth century a fireguard station was constructed in front of the eastern section of the wall facing Lychakivska St. This fireguard station became redundant after a new fireguard building was constructed at the intersection of the Pidvalna St. with Striletska Sq. In the late 1920s and early 1930s several old buildings were demolished following a resolution of the city council, in order to reorder the territory and create a new square. It was at that time that a fragment of the old city wall, disfigured by time and numerous reconstructions, was discovered. The demolition of the old fireguard building, the stone fence of the Clarice Monastery and a reconstruction of the tram tracks between Lychakivska and Charnetskyi (now Vynnychenko) St. and Bernardine Sq. (now Soborna), cleared sufficient room for a new square, which was initially named in honour of Archbishop W. Bandurski (now Mytna Sq.). In 1976-1977 an underground crossing was built under the square (then named Radianska (Soviet) Sq.) to improve traffic flows. This offered the opportunity to completely open and restore the old Hlynianska Tower (1618), which had once led to the Bernardine Monastery from the Hlyniany Highway.
Fortification wall, fragment of St. Andrew's Cathedral (Bernardine Cathedral)