The postcard presents a view of one of the oldest churches in Lviv – the St. Paraskeva Piatnytsia Church in Zhovkivska St. (now 77 Bohdan Khmelnytskyi St.). The Piatnytsia Church was built in 1644 on the site of the original church, which dated back to the times of the Galician Principality (thirteenth century). Construction was funded by a Wallachian (Moldavian) lord Vasyl Lupul, father-in-law to Tymosh Khmelynytskyi, the son of the Cossack Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytskyi, which is evidenced by his coat of arms in stone on the southern wall, depicting the sun, the moon, and a crown. In the late eighteenth century the church was painted by the famous Lviv artist Luka Dolynskyi. The Piatnytsia Church acquired its present-day appearance after a renovation in 1885. In 1908 a new cupola construction was added to the quadrilateral bell tower. The Piatnytsia Church is the only one in Lviv to still preserve its original iconostasis (about 70 icons by artist F. Senkovych or his apprentices).
St. Paraskeva Piatnytsia Church, Zhovkivska St., tram tracks