img

Views of Shchyrets

Images

ID:
1069
Place
Shchyrets
Date:
1900-1914
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Andrij Zakharkiv-Olijnyk
Publisher
Unknown
Description

Typical for the 20th c., the postcard of the type “Gruss aus...” presents three typical views of Shchyrets. Until the war there were two railway stations in Shchyrets- “Shchyrets- city” and “Shchyrets-II- Islands” (they have existed up until now). On the wood block wall of the station building bilingual signs are visible with the name of the station: Shchyrets (in polish) and Shchyrets-city (in ukrainian). During the expansion and electrification of the iron line of Moscow-Chop, the station was destroyed in the 1950s. Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church was built on the hillside, where, possibly, the city was located in the 12th c. After a number of Tartar attacks the church was only rebuilt in 1662. It gained its current appearance in 1892. For the reconstruction of the Shchyrets church of The Nativity of the Virgin Mary in the 1920-1930s, donations were gathered, which was a traditional way of collecting charitable donations.

Tags:
Railway station, Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church, building of dr. Chesn’ovskyi
Category:
City views and green sites
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon