img

St. Stanislav Church

Images

ID:
1191
Place
Shchyrets
Date:
1930
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
Unknown
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Copyright
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Publisher
Unpublished resources
Description
St. Stanislav Church was built in 1400; a Roman-Catholic parish existed there already in 1397. The church, located on the corner of the central square of Shchyrets, was a part of the city fortifications; around the perimeter of its walls there existed loopholes for defenders. At the restoration of the church in 1912 (for the celebration of the 500th anniversary of the Grundwald battle) these stone indicators of the city’s warring past were covered over by walls. The renewal and restoration were realized according to the re-worked project of Juzef Hornunh; the author of the completed project was probably Woitsekh Brettner. At that time they rebuilt the tower, ruined in 1834, on which a memorial board of black marble had been put in 1910, on the occasion of the 500 year anniversary of the Grundwald battle, with the words “Grundwald Memorial 1410-1910”. In 1934 a memorial board was hung at the church entrance on the occasion of the 500-year anniversary of the death of king Vladislav Yahaila; on it was written “For King Vladislav Yahaila on the 500-year anniversary of his death the city of Shchyrets shows respect 31 May 1934”. Until today the functioning church of St. Stanislav is one of the few Roman Catholic temples in the Lviv region, which functioned in Soviet times.
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Tags:
Church
Category:
Roman-Catholic Churches
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon