img

Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church

Images

ID:
1063
Place
Shchyrets
Date:
1920-1939
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Copyright
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Publisher
Unknown
Description

For the reconstruction of the Shchyrets church of The Nativity of the Virgin Mary in the 1920-1930s, donations were gathered, which was a traditional way of collecting charitable donations. Upon recognition of any donation, of any sum, the donator received a postcard with views of Shchyrets (in this case The Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church) and the text “For the reconstruction of the church”. The Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church in the 16th century was built on a hill, where, the city was possibly located in the 12th century. After a number of Tatar attacks the Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church was rebuilt only in 1662, and acquired its current appearance in 1892. Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church was surrounded by defensive walls with loopholes and a strong entrance gate-belltower. On the corner of the walls a round tower has survived; a chapel was later built there. A well-known historian of Ukrainian churches, Volodymyr Vuitsyk presents one version, in which Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church could have been rebuilt on the site of the old castle. All that remains of the castle are the defensive walls with loopholes.
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy

Tags:
Church
Category:
Greek-Catholic Churches
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon