img

Basilian Monastery

Images

ID:
1538
Place
Buchach
Date:
1923-1939
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Library of the Institute of Ethnology Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lviv
Copyright
Biblioteka Instytutu Narodoznawstwa, Lwów
Publisher
Unknown
Description
A view of the Basilian Monastery from the road that goes from a suburb to the city. The center of the composition is the towers of the monastery’s Church of the True Cross built in the later Baroque style on the site of a cathedral disassembled in 1752-1761. The author of the project was the architect Schilzer. Two-story Basilian school buildings were constructed according to the project by well-known architect Gottfried Hoffmann, the creator of the Pochaiv Lavra. In 1804 a gymnasium was founded at the monastery of the Basilian friars; well-known Ukrainian and Polish personalities of the spheres of culture, literature and art studied here. Poets Julian Dobrylowski and Illarion Grabowicz as well as biologist Semen Trush were among its teachers. A trade and craft school also existed at the monastery. In 1893 the gymnasium became public; circular teachers taught there from that time on. In the left part of the foreground one can see a stone fence that does not exist now.  
Nazar Kis  
Tags:
Church, Basilian gymnasium
Category:
Monasteries
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon