img

Basilian Monastery

Images

ID:
1540
Place
Buchach
Date:
1901
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Library of the Institute of Ethnology Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lviv
Copyright
Biblioteka Instytutu Narodoznawstwa, Lwów
Publisher
S. Halberg, Buchach
Description
A general view of the Basilian Monastery in Buchach located on the slopes of Fedir Mountain, on the site where the Cathedral of True Cross was once standing. Basilian monks came to Buchach in 1712 on the invitation of Stefan Potocki, the owner of Buchach, who wished to have educated Greek Catholic clergy on his property. The central building of the complex is the Church of the True Cross, which was constructed in the late Baroque style according to the project by a well-known architect, Schilzer, on the site of a cathedral disassembled in 1752-1761. According to the project by well-known architect Gottfried Hoffmann – the creator of the Pochaiv Lavra – two-story monastery premises (on the left) and the school education building (on the right) were added in 1761-1771. In 1804 a gymnasium was founded at the monastery of the Basilian friars; well-known Ukrainian and Polish personalities of the spheres of culture, literature and art studied here. Poets Julian Dobrylowski and Illarion Grabowicz as well as biologist Semen Trush were among its teachers. A trade and craft school also existed at the monastery. A stone niche with a sculpture of St. Onuphrius is located along the central axis of the wall; symmetrical stairs lead to the upper square from below. Upstairs, a carved figure of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary stood on a platform; it was created by an unknown sculptor and set up in 1818. A bell tower built in 1849-1854 is located to the left of the monastery premises.
Nazar Kis
Tags:
Complex of Basilian Monastery, the church, monastery, gymnasium, bell tower, stairs, sculpture of Our Lady, relief image of St. Onuphrius
Category:
Monasteries