img

Law Faculty of University

Images

ID:
1570
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1907
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Library of the Institute of Ethnology Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lviv
Copyright
Biblioteka Instytutu Narodoznawstwa, Lwów
Publisher
J. Tennenbaum, Czernowitz
Description
In 1875 Chernivtsi got its own university. It was named after the emperor “Franz Josephs Universität” and consisted of three faculties for the beginning: a greek orthodox theological, a legal and a philosophical faculty. The driving force behind the project to open a university and its first rector was the deputy and professor of law Konstantin Tomaszczuk. His main arguments towards the authorities in Vienna was the ongoing polonization of the University in Lemberg (Lviv) and the fact that the language of teaching at Czernowitz university should be German. The first academic year started with 191 students, in 1912 the number of students had reached 1129. Although the official language of teaching was German, classes were held in Romanian and Ukrainian as well. The University played an important role for the renaissance of Ukrainian culture and national identity. After the first World War most of the professors left Chernivtsi and the university was turned into a Romanian institution. The building shown on the postcard was built in 1883 in Universitätsgasse (University Street) opposite of the original university building in order to accomodate the faculty for natural sciences. Today it is called “building nr. 2” and houses the faculty of law.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, Universität
Category:
Universities
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon