img

The Corner between Holovna and Scholom Aleichema Streets

Images

ID:
1573
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1904
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Library of the Institute of Ethnology Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lviv
Copyright
Biblioteka Instytutu Narodoznawstwa, Lwów
Publisher
Schaar & Dathe, Trier
Description
The postcard shows the junction of Enzenberg Hauptstrasse (left, today vul. Holovna) and Judengasse (right, today vul. Scholom Aleichema). In 1880 the street was named after Karl von Enzenberg, head of the military administration of the Bukowina from 1778 to 1786. Before that it was called Lemberger Strasse, being part of the oldest and most important road in the Bukowina, the so called “Reichsstraße” (Imperial Road) coming from Lviv (Lemberg) in the north, going towards the southern Bukowina to Suceava (Suczawa) and from there westwards ascross the Carpathian mountains into Siebenbürgen (Transylvania). Judengasse is leading downhill into the oldest part of Chernivtsi, known as Untere Stadt (lower part of town) or Judenstadt (jewish district) which was inhabited mainly by poor and religious Jews, without ever being formally a Ghetto before World War two. The large appartment building in the center was called Shiffhaus (ship’s house) because of its shape. The building with the colums on the left side is the so called Hauptwache (guard’s house) originally dates back to 1786, but was rebuilt after an fire in 1867. When it was built, the square in front of it (where the photo was taken from) used to be the center of town. The dome in the background belongs to the orthodox Paraskeva church.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, Enzenberg Hauptstrasse, main street, Schiffhaus, Hauptwache, guardhouse, people
Category:
Streets
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon