img

Former Academy for the Education of Teachers

Images

ID:
1576
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1902
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Library of the Institute of Ethnology Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lviv
Copyright
Biblioteka Instytutu Narodoznawstwa, Lwów
Publisher
Josef Horowitz, Czernowitz
Description
The postcard shows the Lehrer- und Lehrerinnenbildungsanstalt (Academy for the education of teachers) on the corner of Dreifaltigkeitsgasse and Stefaniegasse. Until the building was erected in 1888, a wooden orthodox church from 1774 stood on this site. It was moved to the suburb of Klokuczka. A first academy for male teachers was established in Chernivtsi in 1870, for female teachers in 1872. Classes were held in German language. However, teachers had to be able to teach in German, Romanian and Ukrainian, the three Landessprachen (official languages) in the Bukowina.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, Lehrer- und Lehrerinnenbildungsanstalt
Category:
Academies & Colleges