img

Barbus Street with former Synagogue

Images

ID:
2481
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1920-1936
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
120х170 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Copyright
Helmut Kusdat
Publisher
Unknown
Description
The photo shows the Synagogengasse (Str. Wilson, vul. Barbusa) with the so called Große Synagoge in the distance, a big synagogue finished in 1853. It was one of around 70 synagogues and prayer houses in Chernivtsi before the Second World War. The Synagogengasse is located in the center of the so called Untere Stadt (lower parts of town), dating back to the times of the Turkish Rule. Here used to be the old Jewish quarter. There was never a Ghetto in Czernowitz (except during the Second World War), Jews could always settle all over the city. The Untere Stadt, however, remained the living quater for the poor and more religious members of the Jewish community. The little square on the photo, where Synagogengasse met Springbrunnengasse (Str. Creanga, was called Springbrunnenplatz (P.Fantanii, vul. Sagaidachnogo) after a fountain that does not exist any more.
After the big reformed Temple was completed in the city center in 1877, this synagogue was used by the orthodox community. However, sevices were held in German language. The building was used as a warehouse and factory after the Second World War.
The agency of LLOYD SABAUDO at the corner is offering tickets for ships to the New World. This was a major business as the Bukovina, being one of the poorest provinces of the Habsburg Empire, was facing massive emigration.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Cernăuţi, Streets, Synogogue
Category:
Streets
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon