When the Hotel Bristol was opened in 1906, the square it was located on was officially called Rudolfsplatz, named in 1880 after Archduke Rudolf, the heir to the Habsburg throne. However, it was still known as
Mehlplatz (Flour square) and remained being a market place until recently. Todays it carrys the name of the Philharmonic building, located next to the Hotel Bristol.
When the Bristol was opened on the corner of Rudolfsplatz and Karolinengasse (now vul. Zankovetskoi), it was one of the most fancy hotels in town. Run by its owner Josef Landau, the hotel – also known as Glückshof – had 75 rooms, central heating, bath rooms and a restaurant. In the Soviet times the building was used as home for students.
Czernowitz, Rudolfsplatz, Mehlplatz, Musikvereinsplatz, Hotel Bristol