img

View of Train Station

Images

ID:
2533
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1910-1914
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
85х130 mm
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Description
The postcard shows the train station in Chernivtsi, built between 1907 and 1909 by architekt Elling in a kind of secessionist style. It was opened in 1910 and replaced the old train station, built in 1866.
In 1866 the railway line between Lemberg (Lviv) and Chernivtsi was opened, connecting the Bukowina with the European railway network. In 1869 it was extended to Suczawa (Suceava) in the southern Bukowina, later to Iasi in Romania.
The postcard has been photographed from a hill right opposite of the train station, most likely from a place called Habsburg Höhe. It was taken before World War One, during which the building was severely damaged.
Behind the station buiding the tracks with trains and the long warehouses can be seen. In the distance the valley of the river Pruth and on the right edge of the postcard an industrial plant, the Actien Dampfmühle (steem operated mill).

Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, Train Station, Industrial plant
Category:
Train stations