The building of the Hauptwache (main guardhouse) was one of the first stone buildings in town. It was first built in 1784 and rebuilt in classicist style after the big fire of 1866. It is situated on the main street, then called Enzenberg Hauptstrasse (todays Holowna), next to the Catholic Church and opposite of the Generalshaus (general’s house), which can be seen on the right side of the photo. The picture was taken from Schulgasse (vul. Shkilna). The empty plot on the left corner was called Heilig Kreuz Platz (Holy Cross Square) until World War One.