
Market on Sadova Str.
- ID: 2421
- Place: Chernivtsi
- Date: 1905-1914
The photo shows the two bridges across the river Pruth in Chernivtsi. In the foreground the bridge for pedestrians and individual transportation. The first wooden bridge across the Pruth was built in 1835, replaced by a construction of stone and iron in 1871. It was rebuilt in 1909. The photo, however, seems to show the old bridge of 1871. During the First World War Chernivtsi was occupied by Russia three times. Many buildings including the bridge were damaged or destroyed. Most likely it was blown up by the retreating Austrian army in 1914. In he background the railway bridge crossing the river Pruth in Chernivtsi, rebuilt in 1908. It was most likely blown up by the retreating Austrian army in 1914.<br /><em>Helmut Kusdat</em>