img

Large Choral Synagogue

Images

ID:
1004
Place
Khmelnytskyi
Date:
1938
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
13х19 сm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Serhiy Esiunin
Copyright
Serhiy Esiunin
Publisher
Unknown
Description
The construction of the Jewish Quarters near the Bug River in Proskuriv formed in the 18th-19th Centuries. Among one-story crowded blocks one can easily distinguish the building of the Large Choir Synagogue, which was originally wooden (constructed in the 18th Century) and at the end of the 19th Century it was rebuilt in brick. In 1938 the Synagogue was closed, and after the war it was turned into a gymnasium of the "Spartak" society. At the end of the 1950’s the blocks around the Synagogue were completely rebuilt: A three-story building of the cooperative technical college was constructed, a little later another building of the same educational establishment was added to it, then a dormitory and an apartment building. In this way the Synagogue found itself in the courtyard of the technical college and was demolished in 1991. Today a gymnasium of the cooperative college has been built on its site.
Serhiy Esiunin
Tags:
Proskuriv, Large Choral Synagogue
Category:
Synagogues
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon