img

Holy Trinity Church

Images

ID:
1062
Place
Shchyrets
Date:
1930-1939
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
Unknown
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Copyright
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Publisher
Unpublished resources
Description

In the 16th c. Holy Trinity Church was located in an old town location. Like the Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church it was once built with three wooden domes on stone walls. In 1805 following a government decree, Holy Trinity Church was rebuilt—belltowers removed, and in their place on the two-tiered top, a small signal tower installed. The church was surrounded by a stone wall – possibly, in medieval times this wall was a part of the city’s defence fortifications. A wooden belltower from the 18th c. is part of the wall. In the picture there is a Stations of the Cross walk around Holy Trinity Church in the 1930 s. Past the church walls there was a deacon’s house, in which the famous ukrainian artist Osyp Kurylas was born in 1870, a member of the Press Quarter of the Ukrainian Sichovi Striltsi. Today the house of O. Kurylas no longer exists.
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy

Tags:
Church, event, houses
Category:
Greek-Catholic Churches