img

General View of the City

Images

ID:
1066
Place
Shchyrets
Date:
1903
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Copyright
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Publisher
Unknown
Description
In the picture- a view of the city of Shchyrets at the end of the 19th c. from the Golden Hill (that is how the inhabitants of the city call it- possibly, connected with the fact that for time immemorial there was a church there, and according to some, a monastery too). Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church of the 16th c. was built on a hillside, where, possibly, the city was located in the 12th c. After a number of Tartar destructions, it was rebuilt in 1662, and gained its current appearance in 1892. The city is known from the beginning of the 12th c. (at the entrance to Shchyrets the year 1113 is marked, which is supported by archives).
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Tags:
View of the city
Category:
City views and green sites