img

Holy Trinity Church

Images

ID:
1053
Place
Shchyrets
Date:
1900-1939
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
Unknown
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Copyright
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Publisher
Unpublished resources
Description

Holy Trinity Church was located in the old town fortifications, it dates from the 16th c. Like the church of The Nativity of the Virgin Mary it was once built with three wooden domes on stone walls. In 1805 following a government decree, Holy Trinity Church was rebuilt—belltowers removed, and in their place on the two-tiered top a small symbol installed. The church was surrounded by a stone wall– possibly, in medieval times this wall was a part of the city’s defence fortifications. A wooden belltower from the 18th c. is part of the wall. After WW II the church was closed, and from 1977 a museum of atheism existed here. Only at the end of the 1980s was the church returned to the faithful. In the 1990s the UGCC community, to whom Holy Trinity church belongs, rebuilt the cupola close to its original appearance.
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy

Tags:
Church, wall, belltower, horsedrawn transportation
Category:
Greek-Catholic Churches
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon