img

Soborna Street

Images

ID:
1070
Place
Khmelnytskyi
Date:
1903
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
15х23 cm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Serhiy Esiunin
Copyright
Serhiy Esiunin
Publisher
Unknown
Description

Soborna Street is situated in the central part of the city connecting Prybuzska Street and Independence Square. Laid in accordance with the city construction plan of 1824, it began from the square with the Cathedral (Ukrainian - "sobor") of the Birth of the Mother of God, from which it obtained its name. In the 19th Century the street was stone-paved; one- and two-story bourgeois buildings were constructed in it. In 1921, after the Soviet power set up, the street was named after the German Communist leader Karl Liebknecht. In 1991 its historic name was returned to the street. In the 1950’s-1980’s the part of the street pictured in the photograph was filled up with many-story buildings. Only the Cathedral of the Birth of the Mother of God has been preserved (its dome outlines can be noticed in the background). 
Serhiy Esiunin

Tags:
Proskuriv, Soborna Street, bourgeois construction
Category:
Streets
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon