img

Former City Stadium

Images

ID:
1071
Place
Khmelnytskyi
Date:
1927
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
9,5х13 сm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Serhiy Esiunin
Copyright
Serhiy Esiunin
Publisher
Unknown
Description

The history of creating the first hippodrome in Proskuriv goes back to 1926, when commanding officers of the Red Cossacks division allowed equipping the city "sports stadium" on the territory of their hippodrome. The hippodrome was a huge waste ground, covered with reeds and with water standing in some places. The land plot chosen as a place for the stadium was dried up for half a year, then some soil was added to the football field, some benches were set up and a wooden canopy for the audience was built; some playgrounds and field and track athletics sectors were equipped nearby. In summer of 1927 the grand opening ceremony of the first in Proskuriv "ports stadium" was held. Since the stadium had been built by youth, it was called CIY (Communist International of the Youth). It was located opposite the present Iv. FrankaPark behind the railway tracks (only the side street name – Ippodromnyi – reminds of a hippodrome existing once here). It was here that all the football duels and sports competitions took place in the pre-war years. Soon the ownership of the stadium was transferred to the Dynamo society, and the stadium itself obtained a corresponding name. A new stadium of Dynamo was built in a new location in 1950, and the territory of the first "sports stadium" was re-zoned as residential property.    
Serhiy Esiunin

Tags:
Proskuriv, hippodrome, stadium, "CIY", "Dynamo"
Category:
Buildings
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon