img

Market on Soborna Square

Images

ID:
2471
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1905-1914
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
170х70 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Copyright
Helmut Kusdat
Publisher
Unknown
Description
The photo shows a market on the Austriaplatz (P. Ghica Voda, Soborna pl.), one of the oldest marketplaces in town where also firewood was traded. Therefor it was originally called Holzplatz. Later is was named Criminalplatz (after the court and jail locted at it) and only in 1875 it got the name Austriaplatz, commemorating 100 years of Austrian rule over the Bukowina. In the background the southern side of the square with the building of the Landesregierung (government of the Bukowina).
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, Austriaplatz, market
Category:
Markets
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon