This early photo shows the Hotel zum Schwarzen Adler (Under the Black Eagle), the best hotel in town during the times of the Austrian rule. It was located on the corner of the Ringplatz (Piata Unirii, Red Square, Central Square) and Tempelgasse (Strada Duca, University Street). It already existed in 1875, when the opening festivities of the new university were held in its halls.
During the Soviet times the hotel was called Verchovyna. It was closed down in 1999 and is used by a university today.
The photo does not show electric street lights which were installed in 1896. Helmut Kusdat
Czernowitz, Ringplatz, Hotel Schwarzer Adler, People