Panoramic view of Chernivtsi from the Northeast, most likely the photo was taken from the Weinberggasse. In the center/right the old part of the city, the Untere Stadt (lower parts), dating back to the times of the Turkish Rule. In the back/left the modern parts of the city built in the 19th and 20th c.
The large building on the right half of the card is the old Synagogue, built in 1853 in the middle of the old Jewish quarter. There was never a Ghetto in Czernowitz (except during the Second World War), Jews could always settle all over the city. The Untere Stadt (lower parts of town) however, remained the living quater for the poor and more religious members of the Jewish community.