img

Cathedral of the Birth of the Mother of God

Images

ID:
973
Place
Khmelnytskyi
Date:
1900-1920
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
7,5х10,5 сm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Serhiy Esiunin
Copyright
Serhiy Esiunin
Publisher
Unknown
Description

The Cathedral of the Birth of the Mother of God is situated at the beginning of Soborna Street. There is historic evidence that a little wooden church existed on the site of the cathedral in the 1670’s. During the fire of 1822, however, when almost all the old buildings of Proskuriv burned down, the fire destroyed this church as well. In 1835-1837 a stone cathedral was built on this site. It had a significant number of religious relics, among which was a wooden icon of the Mother of God in a silver-golden riza which miraculously survived the fire of 1822. The image was considered to perform miracles and was deeply respected by the citizens of Proskuriv. Unfortunately, neither the icon nor other relics have been preserved to the present day. They "disappeared" during the 1930’s, when the church was under pressure from the Soviet authorities and was closed. The cathedral premises were used as a warehouse, then as an archive…. Only in 1989 the Cathedral of the Birth of the Mother of God reopened its doors for believers after significant repairs. Today the cathedral is the oldest building in Khmelnitsky.    
Serhiy Esiunin  

Tags:
Proskuriv, neighborhood of the Cathedral of the Birth of the Mother of God
Category:
Orthodox Churches
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon