img

Altar of the Heart of Jesus in St. Stanislav Church

Images

ID:
1055
Place
Shchyrets
Date:
1920-1939
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Copyright
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Publisher
Unknown
Description
St. Stanislav Church was built in 1400. According to the traditions of medieval urban planning the church was situated on the corner (south-eastern) of the central market square. This temple was a part of the city fortifications and the perimeter of the walls had side openings and a stone .... for the defenders. During the church restoration in 1912 (for the celebration of 500-years since the Grundwald battle) these stone testimonies to the military past were walled over. At that time they rebuilt the tower, ruined in 1834, on which in 1910 a memorial board of black marble had been put, on the occasion of the 500 year anniversary of the Grundwald battle, with the words “Grundwald Memorial 1410-1910”. In 1934 a memorial board was hung at the church entrance on the occasion of the 500-year anniversary of the death of king Vladislav Yahaila. This is one of few Roman Catholic temples in the Lviv region, which functioned during Soviet times. The structure of the church survived almost completely, as well as three altars, built circa 1836: Heart of Jesus, Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Stanislav. In the centre of the main altar of St. Stanislav- a wooden polychrome sculpture of the Sacred Heart, decorated with an oval image of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. On the sides, on the consoles, sculptures of the holy pope with a book and an unknown holy bishop, mastered out of polychrome gilded wood.
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Tags:
Altar, church
Category:
Roman-Catholic Churches
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon