img

The Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church

Images

ID:
1057
Place
Shchyrets
Date:
1903
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Copyright
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Publisher
Unknown
Description

Entrance gate-belltower of The Nativity of the Virgin Mary church. Church from the 16th c., built on a hillside, where, the town of Shchyrets’ was found in the 12th c. After a number of Tatar invasions, fires and destructions of the temple, it was rebuilt in 1662, and gained its current appearance in 1892. At first, the church had three bells and had wooden cupolas on stone walls, but after the rebuilding and reconstruction of 1893, according to the work of the well known Galician architect Vasyl’ Nahirnyi, it was left with one cupola. The reconstruction of The Nativity of the Virgin Mary church was not praised by architects in its time.
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy

Tags:
Church
Category:
Greek-Catholic Churches