img

Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary

Images

ID:
1198
Place
Shchyrets
Date:
1934-1939
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
Unknown
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Copyright
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Publisher
Unpublished resources
Description
Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary from the XVI c., built on a hill, where, perhaps, the town of Shchyrets’ lay in the 12th c. After a number of Tartar invasions, fires and destructions of the temple, it was rebuilt in 1662, and gained its current appearance in 1892. At first, the church had three bells and had wooden cupolas on stone walls, but after the rebuilding and reconstruction of 1893, according to the work of the well known Galician architect Vasyl’ Nahirnyi, it was left with one cupola. During the reconstruction of 1934, led by the Lviv architect Lev Levynskyi, a new cupola was put in place and elegant arches removed when the cupola windows were surrounded by a wall. 
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Tags:
Church
Category:
Greek-Catholic Churches
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon