img

General View of the City

Images

ID:
1205
Place
Shchyrets
Date:
1920-1930
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Copyright
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Publisher
Unknown
Description

The photo depicts a general view of the city of Shchyrets. The city is known from the beginning of the 12th c. (at the town’s entrance the year 1113 is marked, which is supported by given archives). The first written mention of Shchyrets in chronicles is dated 1126, when Zvenyhorod prince Volodymyrko Volodarevych and his brother, Prezmysl prince Rostyslav Volodarevych, came for a council to Shchyrets’, which lay in the centre of their kingdoms. In 1397 Shchyrets acquired Magdeburg law from king Vladislav Yaihaila. The town was famous thanks to a developed industry of plaster-stone and lime; even in the 19th c. stone quarries and a plaster factory existed there. Before the First World War there were 1500 inhabitants, now the town has 6000.
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy

Tags:
view of the city
Category:
City views and green sites